Sunday, November 16, 2008

In Honor Of Veterans


There's one special group of veterans who is close to my heart. These are the men who served on the USS Bennett with my dad. You won't find a tighter group of guys. They served during some pretty intense action, but you won't hear about it from them. During their reunions they are busy laughing and telling stories. When everyone else heads off, and the guys are alone, they will talk amongst themselves. I never knew much about the time Dad served in the Navy until a few years ago. Around that time I convinced Dad to let me put his old pictures and newspapers in a book so they would be protected. It became quite the project. I ended up trying to put together his ship's history to go along with the pictures. This is how I came to learn about their time in Okinawa and Iwo Jima. During this time I was also honored to get to attend my first reunion with my dad. Meeting his shipmates was quite the experience. So every year at Veterans' Day I say a special prayer for each of them.

3 comments:

Cheri Pryor said...

How wonderful to share something like that with your dad. Great picture!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture! How nice that you can share this with your dad, I bet your project is going to be awesome when it's done.

Patti H said...

what a great album you put together for your dad and I bet he cherishes it!