Sunday, October 12, 2008

Life Changing


There aren't a lot of things that come along that I would describe as having unexpectedly really changed my life. Sure, there's the whole getting married, having a kid, getting a career thing, but I guess I am referring to changing how you interact with life.
Having been seriously hearing impaired my entire life and never treated correctly until I was an adult, I have a deep appreciation of what hearing aides can do for you on a daily basis. My audiologist will always laugh when I upgrade because I have such enthusiasm for the new quality of sound. That level of enthusiasm took a giant leap this year when I was fitted for the new digital Blue Tooth compatible hearing aides. People with normal hearing can never understand what it is like to only hear out of slices on each side of your head. These babies synchronize so that it is like having surround sound inside your head. So amazing. Having never been able to hear well on any phone, these now stream my cell phone directly into my hearing aides. So totally amazing! Being so profoundly hearing impaired, I have never had any kind of sound system. Kind of a waste if you know what I mean. Now I have an Ipod that I can connect to the streamer. Just so amazing!
I know, all you people with normal hearing just don't get it, but I do!
Hmmm, maybe I should get off my butt and scrap it.

6 comments:

Lin said...

Yaah--another blog to stalk! It's incredible the electronics that are available now isn't it? I can only imagine how much they benefit your life. I have a student who had a cochlear implant and it's been wondrous watching him re-learn his world. LinR

Cassandra said...

Why didn't you tell me you started to blog? I had to stalk you!

Patti H said...

I think it is great that you can now hear on your cellphone etc.

Kristin said...

I think it is so great that you can now truly enjoy all life has to offer!!

Cheri Pryor said...

So totally amazing!! How great that all this cool technology supports your needs!!

Donna J Harrigan said...

That is so wonderful. I'm happy for you, Nancy, that you are able to enjoy life so much more because of new technology.